8.14.2007

Mathew Pett--Cheer Competition Judge!

I have had a busy and eventful ten years. Right after high school I attended a couple of quarters at Southern Utah University before serving a mission in Bristol, England. I was able to put all of the years of English classes to good use. When I got home I continued my education at SUU and declared accounting as my major… I know, I don’t seem like an accountant. Luckily, I had cheerleading to break up the monotony (and pay for a lot of my schooling).

I also joined SUU’s ballroom dance company and stuck with it for four years. I competed in many competitions in couples and team divisions. I love to perform and I was able to perform all around Utah, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Germany, and the Czech Republic.

During my summers off I taught cheerleading camps for the United Spirit Association throughout the Western US. I remember going to these camps as a student and it was fun to be on the other side and pass on a week of grueling fun.

Since graduating with my Master’s degree in Accounting I have moved to San Diego to work in public accounting and currently work for College Loan Corporation as a finance accountant… I know, I still don’t seem like an accountant. So, to break up the monotony now I travel as a judge for cheerleading competitions. I’ve judged competitions in California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Mexico, and Guatemala. As if I don’t do enough, I’ve become quite the tour guide to all of the friends and family who come to visit San Diego. If you’re ever in town I’ll be happy to show you around.

Mat Pett
pett3400@hotmail.com

7 comments:

Spencer family said...

How fun it is to be you. You are living my dreams. I really mean that, but sometimes my dreams turn into nightmares, because I'm going on to perform but don't remember the dance. But I alway fake it! And it all works out.
I'm so glad that you are doing well. We are going to Cal. on Sept. 8th for a football game. I'm not sure were it is but I'll have to look into it and let you know! I hope you're coming to the reunion :-)

Anonymous said...

Mat,
I agree with Joann! As you know, I am so happy for you. That is a killer toe touch by the way. Jeanie would be proud. I too have a reoccuring cheerleading dream where I am trying to get to school, but I can't find my uniform. It always ends with jeanie's "Look of Death". Anyway, you better keep in touch!
-Becky H.

Anonymous said...

Mat, that's so neat to see that you're still connected to cheerleading. What a fun job!

Aubrey said...

Long time no see! Sounds like you are dong good. Maybe I'll call you next time I'm in San Diego. We love Sea World!! Good to hear from you. Aubrey (Thomsen) Aguirre

Annie Miller said...

Matt,
Hi! Sweet toe touch. Never could quite master that technique! Guys, I have to say I join you in the nightmares about cheerleader screw-ups! I still have them about college finals too...all the time! It's really pathetic that I can't move on. Good to see you doing so well Matt, love San Diego! I don't live to far from you...just a few hours in Phoenix! Annie

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Ballroom Dancing!!! I'm glad that you enjoy one of the best sports on earth!! :)

Julie (Hair) Robertson

Anonymous said...

Mat!!!! You look awesome! There were a few people I have been anxious to hear about, and you were one of them! I hope all is well with you and that you will be attending the reunion! hope to see you soon! ~shannon fallis