I have gotten into mindless debt, paid it off, & gotten into more debt of worthier reasons. But, school loans suck. I left high school for Snow College... I was a music major there... stage fright got the better of me... I then dropped out for a few years. When I started my college studies again in 2002, I pursued Latin at U of Utah, after which I attended 1 year at SLCC where I decided to pursue a French Major, taking French & Japanese. I then transferred to Idaho State U... I studied Latin (once again, because I gotta keep it up or lose it), Russian, Ancient Greek, German, Spanish (ever try to do a semester of work in 4 weeks? It was intense.), Eald Englisc (with a guided reading group, I read all 3,000 lines of Beowulf: "Hwæt! We Gardena in geardagum,/þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon./Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum," )... I attempted Old Icelandic... but that only lasted for a summer...
I won a scholarship to study in France from Pi Delta Phi, c'est-à-dire, the French National Honors Society... it helps to have an academic advisor who is your chapter's advisor and who is also the vice-president of the national organisation. Sometimes it's not a bad thing to be at a 3rd rate, backwater university. I was impressed with the rail system in France. When I was there, I discovered excellent coffee, wine, cheese, & bread! My host family had a "father" who was only 7 years older than me & 2 host "sisters". The 9 year old made fun of my exact French that I had worked so hard on. Do you pronounce every consonant when you speak English?
I sang in the ISU Concert Choir 2 different years... a year ago, I sang with them in an excellent concert hall, a surprising & blessed addition to little Pocatello, a town of 60,000 . Our director demanded the best from us... we grappled with literature that professional groups tend to do... each rehearsal was a physical, psychological workout... I was known by the name Longlocks by those in my Beowulf group, but I have since donated that hair to Locks of Love. I graduated from ISU with a BA in French, minoring in Linguistics. I'm glad I attended college, because I don't think that I would've learned about linguistics... I still study & read a lot... with interests ranging in religion, language, linguistics... I expect if I am to find a wife, I will have to change my modus operandi.
I have gotten to know my grandfather a lot better; he has been my religious mentor... funny thing, since my parents divorce during my 1st year of college, I found other "parents", counselors who have helped my cultivate a desire for a love of life, a love of God, a love of self. I count 3 mothers & 3 fathers in my life: my biological parents (of course)... Cathy (Scott's mom), Sahmiel (my grandfather & Patriarch), Mahaleenah (my Matriarch), & Azrael (my spiritual Teacher).
I have traveled a little on the political road... I left high school being conservative (without really thinking about issues) to espousing the far left, to returning to a conservative-just-right-of-center position, to abandoning the whole thing altogether... I voted for the Green Party my 1st election... I didn't get to vote in the last presidential election, because I forgot to file for an absentee ballot for Utah (I wanted to vote in the Utah governor race)... & didn't register in Idaho.
I have stopped being a rabid, nationalistic Canadian... I have grown to deeply admire the Constitution of the United States & the Declaration of Independence... I am now less interested in whether I'm Canadian or American... I am a citizen of God's Country, being a "...sojourner from afar, walking through a native land in which [I am] a stranger."
I was a vegetarian for 8 years of the last decade, but have only returned to omnivore-hood fairly recently. I have discovered wonderful films, like V for Vendetta & Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain . I haven't gotten an ipod yet, though I have broadened my CD collection with wonderful music with the likes of Yann TIERSEN... I have thinned my collection, getting rid of dark music that I once had need of. I have just recently bought the excellent CD Maudite Moisson, a Québécois group called Le Vent du Nord.
I have started cultivating a love of writing... beginning this endeavour with a poem to God about my feelings resulting from the attacks on 11 September 2001... in bad French--I hadn't had any classes in years... I have written haiku (they're pretty easy) & have gone on to the harder sonnets... I've written 4 so far: 1 for a girl who took a break up with her boyfriend bad, 1 for a woman who needed a life saver from the woes of life that were drowning her, & 2 for a girl I liked. A lot of what I have written was for this same girl I adore. Unfortunately, things turned a little bad between us 8 months back & I haven't wanted to write since... But, here's something hot off the presses, in the style of Beowulf & the ilk of Old Englisch heroic poetry, a summary of my last 10 years: http://guerrierduforet.blogspot.com/
Se sias enraumassa, respiras un pau d'essènci de lavando: acò destapo lou nas!
~Health advice from Prouvenèço
Thanks for reading!
Jonathan B. Kirk
mouetteduruisseauboise@gmail.com

3 comments:
Jonathan,
Sounds like you have done it all! That's a good thing. Helps you know who you are, and what you want in life. Sounds like you have been to some fascinating places, and done some exotic stuff. I am very happy for you. I hope all is well, and perhaps I will see you again some day.
Aubrey (Thomsen) Aguirre
Wow! What an adventure your last 10 years have been, hope the next ten are more fun. Sounds like you've found your authentic self(or you're on that journey to finding it).
Jonathan,
Hello!!! I was glad to see you posted! Wow, you've been busy! You've really put your brain to work! Your studies are impressive. It's good to know that someone else learned French. If you are ever around West Valley we'll have to go out to dinner and you and my husband can help me get my conversationsal French back. :) My brother-in-law would have a hey-day speaking Japanese with you, too! I have often wondered how you were and I am glad that you rseem to be happy. Keep it up!
Julie (Hair) Robertson
Post a Comment