7.25.2007

Michele (Huntsman) Howey Corresponds!

Hi Friends! It hardly seems like it’s been ten years, it feels like ten minutes. My husband and I live in Layton. We were married in the Salt Lake Temple December 5, 1998. We have three kids, Briton 7, Alex 4, and our baby Kaitlyn is 18 months. Besides being a mom, I'm also a correspondent for The Standard Examiner, the newspaper in Davis and Weber County. I cover city council meetings (I love the politics), do a little spot news, and also features. I have a passion for it, and can work from home, so it's perfect for me. I don't know why I stopped writing after High School other than I just didn't have time. So last year, I said why not? and I've been writing ever since. I've even had a few stories go AP (associated press) and go nationwide. I'm also working on a few other projects that I hope to publish one day.

I met my wonderful husband a year after high school. It was love at first sight. We were engaged in a week, and married in three months. No, I did not marry the missionary I was waiting for, for those of you that knew me well. I was not expecting to go in such a different direction than I had planned in High School, but I wouldn't change a thing. Chris is amazing. I love him so much. He is my best friend as well as a fantastic father and husband. He works as a building engineer for Verizon Business, formally MCI.

We owned and I ran a sandwich shop and video store a few years ago, which we had to sell because of some health problems I was having. After a surgery earlier this year, I’m much better, and we plan to go back into business this next year.

We love to go to the lake, ride wave-runners, and play in our backyard with our kids. We’ve had our trials of health problems, illness and struggle, but on a whole we're very blessed, pretty darn happy, and life has been good to us.

Michele Howey
michelehowey@msn.com


Kind of an interesting side note... My husband has a Granger connection that is part of our love story.

My husband Chris worked for the old Q99 as a DJ during his high school years before he left on his mission. (Think Breakfast Bunch, Scottie and Mcormick from back in the day) He DJ'd the very first dance of our Sophomore year, the one at the tennis courts that Shack shut down when it started to rain. The funny thing is we remembered each other from that years later, when we met.

As a nerdy Sophomore I showed up early for the dance and was standing around waiting for everything to start while this skinny blonde guy in a Q99 shirt was running around setting up equipment. Our eyes met, and we smiled at each other. When we met later, he swore he knew me from somewhere, and as we talked and he found out I was from Granger, he asked if I had come to the dance that night.

When I said I had, he asked, "You weren't there early by chance, long curly hair, wearing a purple shirt?" I couldn't believe he remembered that! "Yes I was," I said. It was then I remembered him as the skinny guy setting up the equipment. He said he had noticed me, thought I was cute, and had even looked for me later wanting to dance with me, but couldn't find me. I was deeply touched, and that little story helped land him a wife.

12 comments:

Erin said...

Michele, I had no idea you were adopted! That's awesome! Do you have any contact with your birth mother? We know Bryson was meant to be apart of our family, just as I'm sure you know you were meant to be with your family. Adoption is such a miracle! We feel so blessed!

Michele Huntsman Howey said...

Hey Erin! I'm not in contact with my birth mother, although I did call her once to thank her for making the decision she did. I know what you mean about it being meant to be, we really do end up where we're supposed to be. I'm an exact copy of my mom and dad, even though I "didn't come from them", I am still theirs. Michael Mclain has a song about that. You'll find over the years that the same thing will happen with Bryson. We'll have to visit at the lunch so I can meet your little one.

Spencer family said...

Michele- It so great to hear about you. Does your Mom still live in the ward? Most of my family is down in West Jordan,so I don't hear about anyone in the ward really. It will be fun to meet your family.I'll see you at the picnic. Joann (Scarlet)Spencer

Michele Huntsman Howey said...

Hi Joann! Are you going to post a blog? I want to see your family too. :) We moved my mom up here after we bought our house. It's nice having her close. I talk to Jessica Hansen quite a bit, and my mom talks to BJ, so every once in a while we'll get a little news. It was good to see how Annie is doing too. Looking forward to seeing you at the reunion. I bet your kids are so cute.

Spencer family said...

Hey I told my mom that I talk to you.She was glad to hear about you. Did you know that Jessica's sister Kellie is in my ward. Her baby is soooooo cute. Do you know if Jessica knows about the reunion? I was thinking of asking Kellie if she knew and if not to tell her. Let me know!

Michele Huntsman Howey said...

Yeah, Jess does know. I got an email from her today. She's not sure yet if she's going to be able to make it yet. I just saw your cute cute kids. Your little girl look just like you. I loved seeing the pictures. This is so fun.

Erin said...

Michele,

I love that Michael Mclain song you were talking about. I had never heard it until after we were picked by Bryson's birth mom and a friend shared it with me--I just sobbed!! We actually gave a copy of it to Bryson's birthmom as part of a thank you gift we gave to her. We love her so much!

Anonymous said...

Hello, again!

Thanks for the email. Your children look a lot like you-they are so cute! Have you kept up with the Ballroom Dancing? Speaking of that, do have any pictures or video from the team from high school? I would love to have some copies for my scrapbook if you do.
I'll see you at the reunion!

Julie (Hair) Robertson

Michele Huntsman Howey said...

I wish I did have some pictures or tape of us dancing. I don't know why none of us took any pictures!!! Where were all of our heads? I loved seeing the cute picture of your family, and I'm excited to see you at the reunion.

Anonymous said...

Michele,
Thanks for your comment, it's so good to hear from you. Your family is beautiful! I understand the "last one" thing. For health reasons, this baby may be our last as well. It's sad because they grow so fast! My parents are doing well. They moved after I got married and we actually live 4 houses down from them now! I love it. My dad is doing well, although he still deals with some side effects of his injuries. They did catch a couple of the guys who beat him up, but they served minimal time because they were minors. Kind of frustrating. You are so sweet to ask about him. I am so happy for you and the wonderful life you have. Hope to see you at the reunion!
-Becky (Wadsworth) Heiner

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele,
I

Anonymous said...

Michele, it was so fun to visit with you at the reunion. You're family is absolutely adorable, I love all that curly hair.