7.19.2007

Katie (Potts) Cameron Becomes a Doula!

After graduation I went to the College of Eastern Utah for one year. Now those that new me well in high school knew that I had a special guy who was out on a mission. Joshua came home from the Phillipines after my one year of college. I was totally smitten and we dated for about a year and married in the Salt Lake temple on August 10th, 1999. Five months later we learned we were expecting our first baby. In August of 2000, Joshua and I relocated to a new job in Canoga Park, CA., a suburb of Los Angeles.

Our son Jacob was born September 28th, 2000. His birth started my journey into the world of childbirth and midwifery. Jacob’s birth, while completely safe according to hospital standards, left something to be desired. Six months later I was expecting again (can you say Fertile Myrtle?) and I was determined that this birth would be different. I researched different birthing methods and learned about using hypnosis during birth. Not only that, but I learned I had rights and options as a patient and that my baby’s birth experience could be positive. Alisha was born December 12th, 2001. Her birth was great, only my husband and I were met by yelling nurses because we chose to exercise our rights.

In 2003 I got a huge hunger to go back to school. I enrolled at Los Angeles Pierce College in Woodland Hills, CA. It was fun, but hard to balance with kiddies.

In September of 2004 we learned we were expecting again. I was all ready for a hospital birth again. But we felt strongly that we needed to come back to Utah. So we made the move in October and settled in Sandy. I began researching my birthing options again and learned about homebirth. I was referred to a wonderful Licensed Direct-entry Midwife. Mirianna was born at home, in our tub, on May 30th, 2005. My midwife worked some of her doula magic on me and I was sold. I wanted to be a birthing doula. Miri’s birth was exactly how I imagined it. So when I became pregnant again nine months later there was no question where this baby would be birthed.

In September 2006, I did my birthing doula training. Autumn was born at home, another waterbirth, October 13th, 2006. Her birth was beautiful, peaceful and easy. I just recently completed my DONA (Doulas of North America) training and certification, as well as my hypnodoula training for women who use hypnosis in childbirth. I was also elected President of the Utah Friends of Midwives Association. We promote midwifery, homebirth, birthing options, and a woman's right to choose her care provider, since these items have come under attack by our Utah Legislature. I'll be really busy up on Capital Hill in the next coming months. My goals for next year are to get my Hypnosis Childbirth Instructor certification and enroll at the Utah College of Midwifery. My ultimate goal is to become a Licensed Direct-entry Midwife. There are a lot more women in the state of Utah who are choosing homebirths and not enough LDEM's to serve them. So, anyone looking for a doula? ;)

Katie Cameron
kameo1010@yahoo.com

4 comments:

Michele Huntsman Howey said...

Hey Katie!

Your family is adorable. I tried to send you an email, but I don't know if you got it. I can't believe you're a doula! Good for you! I bet you're able to help so many people. See you at the reunion.

Anonymous said...

Katie,

I'm so glad that you have had wonderful birthing experiences!! I wish I could do what you have done. Both of my girls' birthing expereinces were very hard, dangerous and LONG. I hope this next one goes better, but I may have to have a second c-section..sigh....

Keep up your efforts!! We need you!!

Julie (Hair) Robertson

Michele Huntsman Howey said...

It was nice to get to visit with you too! I loved seeing all of the cute couples dance and have a minute to spend as hubby and wife with out the kids. You and your hubby look very happy, and I'm glad to see your doing so well and doing something that you love and is meaningful.

Rebecca B. said...

Hi Katie, It was great seeing you as well! Your family is adorable! - Becky